Monday, January 21, 2008

Sound Theology???

Over the last several weeks, Bekah has begun an important teaching lesson with our kids. She has started to post a bible verse of the week so that Kate and AJ can begin to memorize scripture. It is sad to say, but after only 3 weeks of "training" Kate and AJ have committed more scripture to memory than I did in the first 16 years of my life. I don't think that I have ever been more proud of our kids after they recited their first week verse for us. Yesterday after lunch, I asked Kate and AJ to recite 3 weeks worth of verses for me so that I could bask in the glory of how good a job I am doing as a parent. In reality, Bekah is responsible for the good stuff, while I am responsible for AJ not being offsides in our game of living room tackle football and for both our kids having a black belt in nose picking at the age of 3.

Side note: nose picking has long been a skill that has been passed from generation to generation in the Russ clan. I believe that Jedediah Russ (back in 1743) was described as a "master blacksmith and thine nose pick'r" - Old English. It was not unusual on a Sunday afternoon as child to see my dad taking a nap with the double-finger tri-pod nose napping maneuver. Visual - Index finger in each nostril, elbows on stomach for support and head slightly leaned forward with your neck creating the other "leg" of the tri-pod - sweet dreams. Try it, you won't regret it.

Now back to the story at hand. It was during lunch that Kate decided to share with the family what she has been learning about God! "In the beginning God created...(wait for it, wait for it) - Taquitos". I guess Kate had really enjoyed the Taquitos that we had gotten her for lunch! After lunch, Kate and AJ went outside to play on the their swing set and Kate kept referring to it as her "temple". Apparently, they learned something about the Temple in Sunday School, but I don't think that they ever told Kate that it was in her backyard. Bekah and I are now carefully monitoring Kate to make sure that she does not start a cult with the neighborhood children, where everyone comes to our backyard temple and worships at the alter of the Taquitos. I think that this is how a young Joseph Smith got started. We are concerned!

More concerning is that later in the afternoon, while watching the Partiot-Chargers game, AJ got a hold of the remote control and changed the channel to ice-skating. After I changed it back to the game, AJ was upset and kept asking to watch ice-skating. I calmly explained to AJ that we don't watch ice-skating over football in our house. Doubly-concerned!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

So funny...wow..your kids are soooo spiritual!! I am totally impressed...we need to get on the ball!!