Sunday, August 5, 2007

Poo Poo Pants...A Model of Efficiency

Our first Saturday in Shanghai began with the basic question of what are we going to do to fill an entire day here. The girls and kids have pretty much concluded their week of shop-till-you-drop so we were looking for something less crowded. We decided to head out to Century Park to explore the biggest green space within 2 hours of where we live. When we arrived at the park, we were surprised to discover that we had warped closer to home to a place that I hold so dear...Sandy Lake Park! For you that don't know what Sandy Lake Park is, first, I feel sorry that you haven't gotten to experience the greatness, and second, I guess I don't have enough WT friends. SLP is a smaller (way smaller) version of Six Flags. But in SLP, all the rides have a little extra terror built in because you are not sure if the ride will make it through one more go. Well Shanghai's version of SLP is a litle smaller than the original, but still filled with the same WT and added terror. (What do they call WT here? I dont know, I'll find out and post later). We spent the first several hours riding the rides - Kate and AJ loved it, while mom, Dad and Aunt Rachel just tried to keep our food down from our morning breakfast. While the rides at most places are usually the most interesting thing, I saw my first example of the famous Poo Poo pants of Shanghai. What are Poo Poo Pants you ask...only the greatest invention ever! Parents here have determined that the cost of diapers and the time to take kids to the restroom can cut into there productive daylight hours, so they have invented pants that have a "gap" in both the front and the back. Think chaps, but not leather and the openning isn't as wide. Kids here are allowed to turd and pee anywhere they want. I remember the first day that I was here, I saw a mom holding her kid over a trash can in the middle of the mall letting the kid take care of business for all the world to see. A picture has been attached for your reference. These pants are all over the place. I am thinking that I will begin using these when I get back to Dallas, my days will be much more efficient.

Later - I gotta go to the bathroom (see, if I had my Poo Poo pants I could just keep writing)

6 comments:

Eddy Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddy Smith said...

Poo poo pants... I love it! Maybe you could start an export business and ship those things to the US. You could be a new trend setter!

betsy said...

I can't wait to show Brendan your site... hope you guys are doing well! I look forward to keeping up with your blog!
Betsy Reagan

Unknown said...

Oh my....

You have kept my whole team at work from being productive for the last 30 minutes as we googled these "poo poo" pants. Amazing how many various styles they come in... I am thankful that Holden doesn't have any. They seem very dangerous for the parent holding the baby. We are loving your blog!

M'Lyn

Rob Cone said...

Adds a whole new dimension to watching out not to "step in it"!

olivia and henry said...

oh my goodness, that is unbelievable!!! i just can't imagine even imagine it!