Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Food Philosophy

A couple of weeks ago, two of my co-workers and I went to have lunch together. Since the frog eating incident, I have tried my best to avoid office lunches without offending the people that will make our company successful here. On this particular day, I was unsuccessful! We went to a local restaurant where we proceeded to order some sort of "mud-bug", egg plant, chicken feet and a pork dish of some sort. I must tell you that here, there is no thought of de-boning or removing of the fat, so the pork is more like pork flavored chewing gum with a hard bone in the center - Mmmmm delicious. I think I have described that the people here throw the whole piece in their mouth and proceed to remove the bone and spit it out, much like the de-shelling of a sunflower seed. During this meal I asked some specific questions about my co-workers eating habits. I was told of some old sayings from Guangzhou (a region in China known for its great food) that when translated go something like this:

We (the Chinese) will eat anything with four legs except a chair

We will eat anything with wings except a plane

We will eat anything from the water except a boat

We will eat anything with hair except a brush

Yep! - That pretty much sums it up.

It was this conversation that got me to thinking about my own food eating philosophy/sayings. I know that in general conversation I have stated many of my rules for eating, but I have never written them down...so here goes:

I will not eat anything with suction cups

I will not eat anything that I would also sleep with (good news for my family and pets)

I will eat anything that is fried as long as it does not conflict with other food eating principles

Ranch is the Michael Jordan of condiments

In the future, I will not eat anything that makes my arms or legs go numb

Peanut Butter + Chocolate = Magic

Butter is good!

If poop tasted like a Kit Kat, I would eat it!

Don't eat fungus

Later

1 comment:

The Chandler Clan said...

Please do not forget the golden rule.....
Eating large quantities of Dave's Insanity will cause a remarkable resemblance to said Chinese food rules coming out the backside.

1. Its always hot
2. Looks like everything else
3. Why did I do that

Love the blog
Corey